‘I Quit Sugar’… Yes, this is something I can say with about 80% certainty… Why only 80%? The answer is simple and it goes like this. I’m a busy mother of 3 and as much as I would love to feed my children, husband and myself perfectly 100% of the time ~ I don’t! 80% of the time I think I get it right and the other 20% is when I’m exhausted or simply can’t be bothered (anyone ever felt like that before?).
In saying ‘I Quit Sugar‘ for the most part I have and I feel wonderful. Where did this stem from and why did I start? Well, one of my besties, Jane Kennedy (amazing person and founder of A Girl and Her World) has been talking about sugar, fructose and a collage of other things that have, at times, totally confused me.
But the sugar thing caught my attention. For over 1 year I have been listening to Jane talk about her journey of living a sugar-free life. Finally, I started to listen and quietly did my own research. In doing so, I was introduced to a beautiful Aussie girl called Sarah Wilson. Sarah’s story resonated with me because she simply started to experiment with something and through her determination and questioning mind, she has created a movement. Yes, #IQS or #IQuitSugar started to roll off the tongues of people around the globe. Exciting, indeed.
As someone who loves to cook and be in the kitchen I started to play.
I was armed with Sarah’s book in one hand, my stick blender in another and my counter covered with new ingredients. Coconut flakes, coconut cream, cacao beans and chia seeds (who knew chia seeds actually existed I was only aware of the chia pet….). The rest is history and I am now on week 7 of no sugar and I have no plans to turn back.
Sarah is a journalist, tv host and blogger with an integrated voice across television, radio, magazines, newspapers and online. She is the former editor of Cosmopolitan magazine and was the host of the first series of MasterChef Australia, the highest rating show in Australian TV history. She has also been a commentator and fill-in host on Channel 7′s Sunday Night, The Morning Show and Sunrise, and The Ten Network’s Good News Week and The Project.
Sarah is an adept social commentator, following a career that’s spanned politics, health advocacy, restaurant reviewing, opinion writing and trend forecasting. She’s also a qualified Health Coach with the Institute of Integrative Nutrition in New York. Sarah is the author of two best-selling ebooks: I Quit Sugar: an 8-week program. And most recently, the recent follow-up, I Quit Sugar Cookbook.
You can listen below on demand, Podcast or download from iTunes!